Spelling Mastery @ FHPS
Students in Years 1 to 6 participate in daily Spelling Mastery lessons.
Spelling Mastery builds dependable spelling skills for students in grades 1-6 through a highly structured direct instruction method that blends the following approaches:
- Helps beginning spellers learn the relationships between spoken sounds and written letters and then apply them to spelling
- Exposes advanced spellers to prefixes, bases, and suffixes
- Combine words and word parts to spell multisyllabic words using a small number of reliable rules
- Gives spellers at all levels the meaning and root of a word and shows how the word's spelling is influenced
- Spell common, high-frequency words which are irregular in their letter sounds
- Commit these potentially troublesome words to memory
Spelling Mastery interweaves these three approaches according to students' skill development and provides straightforward lessons to help efficiently and effectively teach the spelling skills students need to become proficient readers and writers.
Explicit instruction, careful selection of spelling words, and repeated and cumulative practice help students master each concept and reinforce and retain key information.
Spelling Mastery Word Lists
Students are regulary assessed on the spelling rules and words taught in class. Student can study their words at home using the lists below.
Please click on your level to access Study and Word Lists